Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Coming Up For Air

 I've been reading... voraciously, and I've checked 4 titles off of that reading list I posted a few weeks ago.

1. Married and How To Stay That Way - I finished my book I'd abandoned first. I highly recommend it for a Biblical view on marriage. So much of it is common sense to me, but it's good for me to be reminded of God's design for marriage. I'm thankful each and every day for His bringing DH and I together and I don't ever want to take that for granted.

2. The Picture of Dorian Gray. I did not enjoy this one at all. It's dark and strange and filled with sentences that go on for an entire page. I tried to like it, but was just glad to get through it.

3. Wuthering Heights. Another dark, twisted story that just left me feeling disgruntled with selfish characters. I may look back later and recognize it for the brilliant work of literature it is considered to be, but presently I am left feeling annoyed.

4. Whistling Past the Graveyard. And we have a winner! Loved this. No, it's not considered classic literature and perhaps I was just ready for something less...dreary. I loved the story and the author's voice and fell in love with Starla, the spunky protagonist.

 I went by the library on Monday after work to check out The Great Gatsby, but it was closed so I fired up my Kindle, took a deep breath... and started War and Peace.

So now you know why there hasn't been any sewing going on! I'm still spending lots of time with fabric though...if you peek into my house you'll find me curled up with a quilt... nose firmly planted between the pages of a book.

11 comments:

suz said...

I was impressed with your reading list. I can never get into the books like Wuthering Heights - the characters are so annoying! I have never read War & Peace, but I think it would take a long time as well. I'm now rereading To Kill A Mockingbird - haven't read it since the early 60s in high school - totally wasted on me then- now, like reading velvet - the writing is so beautiful and the story is much more appreciated.

Janet O. said...

Wow, you are reading some heavies! I'm with you on Wuthering Heights and Picture of Dorian Gray, Don't want to read those twice. I've got War and Peace, but haven't read it. The Great Gatsby isn't happy stuff, but not quite as heavy as the first two.
You do know there are lighter classics, too, don't you? *LOL*

Staci said...

Your list has a lot of deep dark things on it. Glad you're moving on to something a bit lighter!
Hows W & P coming along?

Caitlin said...

I felt the same way about Wuthering Heights, remember? But then I realized that I hadn't read a book that made me feel so strongly in any way in a very long time. And that is when I realized I loved it. Thanks for drudging through it though! Oh, and P.S: The Great Gatsby is gonna make you mad too. Love you. :)

allthingzsewn said...

Reading was my main enjoyment in life after God and family. That left other things left undone sometimes. Then I found fabric, reading is now coming in 5th. As I have "let's call it matured" I can't leave things undone. So my reading is done about an hour before going to bed, it's how I unwind.
We just had about 5" of snow with another 12" on the way tomorrow (KY.) You have given me the desire to snuggle before the fire too. But I guess I had better bring in some wood today. Well that took a little fun out of it. Is all of your snow gone yet or has it had a chance to melt?

juliehallfeldhaus said...

I think you read Wuthering Heights to late in your life as a teenager you wouldn't have known enough to see the selfishness of the characters!! I mean that in the best possible way:)

agent713 said...

I'm so glad someone else feels that way about Wuthering Heights. The characters are so annoying!!!

Great Gatsby is excellent. You'll enjoy it I'm sure.

Shelly said...

My daughter thinks Wuthering Heights is a great book, so it's been on my list to read. I think I started War and Peace once, and couldn't even get to the third chapter. Now that I'm older, I might try again someday. I have read The Great Gatsby, and seen two versions of the movie (Robert Redford and Leonardo DiCaprio), and while it is sort of dreary, I still find it intriguing. I didn't like the Leonardo version of the movie -- the older one is much better, but that may just be because I prefer older movies. You're inspiring me to want to read more. I recently read "Ethan Frome", then watched the movie (the book is much better) and am trying to get through The Silver Chalice -- the movie was a joke (and by that I mean laughable, and not like the book, but hey, Paul Newman!)

Unknown said...

I read Gatsby in high school and cant remember a whole lot ,may need to read again. Not a fan of W>H> either,just dont enjoy depressing ''deep'' books.I want to enjoy my books! Gonna have to check at the library for Whistling Past the Graveyard.I checked on Amazon and it sounds good. I need to be reading more, way too much time on my computer lately.

Chiska said...

I didnt like Wuthering Heights at all and felt the same about the Great Gatsby. I've been reading children's lit mostly. I just started reading The Phantom Tollbooth and its been delightful. I also read the adventurers wanted series--my son recommended them and I enjoyed them--not amazing, but fun fantasy. I need to read War and Peace. I loved Anna Karenina. You've inspired me!

Mary Ann said...

I just finished watching a 4 part series of War and Peace on tv. It was on every Monday evening.....loved it....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...