Friday, May 7, 2010

Strawberry Shortcake Dessert



Well that's not a very good photo, but I can't retake it because there's not a speck left so this is what you get.

I made this yesterday for the crew. It's one of my 'go to' desserts in the summer when I have a crowd to feed and I have yet to hear any complaints. I've had this in my recipe file for years.

Something about the combination of strawberries and vanilla ice cream and angel food cake just comes together to make a wonderful summer dessert.

It doesn't photograph very well though, but just take my word for it - this is good stuff!

Strawberry Shortcake Dessert

1 large or 2 small Angel Food Cakes
1 large box instant vanilla pudding
2 c milk
1 quart vanilla ice cream
1 large box strawberry jello
2 c boiling water
2 10 oz tub of frozen strawberries

The Angel Food Cakes seem to have gotten smaller through the years so if I buy them from the bakery department at the grocery store, I usually buy 2. I also have trouble fitting this into a normal 9x13" pan so you'll either want something taller or larger.

*Break cake into pieces and put into a 11x15x3 pan. Mix together vanilla pudding and milk. Add softened ice cream. Stir to combine and pour over angel food cake. Mix together strawberry jello and boiling water. Add frozen strawberries and mix. Pour over pudding mixture and cake. Refrigerate and let set for about 4 hours.

I generally make my desserts the night before, but this will tend to get soggy, so I make it the morning I plan to serve it. It's quick to throw together though (unless you make the Angel Food Cake from scratch, which I do sometimes) so it's not a huge time commitment.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

NaomiG said...

Oh, man!! That looks SO good! Can't wait to try it!

Sewn With Grace said...

So glad you stopped by today. This dessert looks delicious. I'll have to save it for when the strawberries are ripe here in Michigan. Be blessed!

Ranch wife said...

Cannot wait to make this. Oh my goodness must wipe the drool from my lips.

By the way, love your new layout it is just so darn cute.

~M~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...