Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Christmas Elf

Whew! I'm pretty sure this time of the year is crazy busy for everyone and you would think that we would be prepared. I mean, we do have 365 days to get ready! I would do good to take a bit of my own advice. Most of the hustle and bustle is self-inflicted. I know that Christmas is not about the baking and decorating and gifts, after all, the greatest gift of all has already been given and Christ was the one who gave it.


Still, this time of year rolls around and we're all scurrying about. I myself have asked Santa for an elf and a few extra days. Searching..searching...searching...nothing. Sigh. Heck, if I hadn't spent so much time searching, I might have gotten all my gifts made! I have come to the conclusion that I am the Christmas elf. Just hope I don't end up sprouting pointy ears.


I know it's been a coon's age since I've posted. I apologize. Hopefully I'll get back in to the swing of things. We've had company recently. My BIL and his 3 little cuties have been here. My Mom's flying in for a week tomorrow. BIL and kidlets are returning on Tuesday. Heading back out on Wednesday. My little house at the end of the dirt road will be packed, and I may very well be running around in circles, but there's always room for one more although that 'one more' may end up having to sleep in the kitchen!


This year I made quite a few gifts and I've had a few requests to see what I've been up to so I thought I'd share. My sewing machine has been humming nonstop for quite some time. For the most part, I made lots of pillowcases. I like giving homemade gifts and these are fun and don't take weeks to complete. I found instructions on making a french seamed pillowcase that doesn't leave any exposed seams. Here are 6 I made. I enjoy choosing special fabrics for each recipient. I used to make these for the kids when they were little...which we all know was just yesterday.




I also made 3 sets of these:




I've had mine for years and I still think they are neat so I made some for some dear friends.


I made a bunch of handmade cards for my mom, but I forgot to snap photos and they are already wrapped and under the tree. I never know what to get her, but she writes tons of cards and I thought this would be something she could use.

I also made this rag quilt:





It's the first rag quilt I've made, and I really enjoyed making it although I was tired of pink by the time I completed it. I made it for my best friend whose favorite color...yep, you guessed it, is pink. She also has a husband and 4 boys and I figured if I made the quilt pink, there was less of a chance that it would end up being confiscated for some hunting trip!


I made lots of the Whopper Reindeer I made last year too. I think I posted those last year.

Finished baking and all plates have been delivered, but won't post all of that again. Look at December last year if you want to know. I don't think I made anything new or different.


My Christmas letter...ie: corny poem, is still sitting in the addressed envelopes on the desk. Still need to pick up the photos tomorrow and pop them in the mailbox. I told myself I wasn't going to write one this year, but then the cards started pouring in and every one remarked how they were really looking forward to that poem...sigh.


Yes, I'll post it in a few days. Ya'll are ruthless, but I love you anyway!


Here's hoping you'll all take a few moments from your insane list of things to do and reflect on the blessings in your life. I know that for me, it always puts things back into the proper perspective. Even Christmas elves are more efficient when they remember what's really important!

1 comment:

cottonpicker said...

Merry Christmas my dear friend....my you've been busy! If I didn't know better, I'd swear you've had a herd of elves at your beck and call! ;) Well, consider yourself hugged with a chocolate kiss and hope your Christmas is as special as you are!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...