Monday, December 17, 2007

Colt School

Our baking took a detour, before it even got started, on Saturday morning.

Ranch life leads itself to detours on a regular basis. Never know when DH might need an extra hand sewing up a prolapsed cow, mending a water gap, pulling a windmill, making an emergency run to the vet or climbing up into the attic when the roof blows off (that's a post for another time).

So through the years I have learned to fly by the seat of my pants and I must admit that I have become quite adept at the sudden-change-of-plans-lets-move-on- to-plan B (or C or D)-lifestyle. I will also admit that I love every minute of it!

I make plans. I am a list maker, but those plans are always made out in pencil and I go through a lot of erasers.

So baking was put on the back burner in order to begin halter breaking the colts.

Hard to believe that anyone would choose to venture out into the cold, cruel world to work with colts when it is a frigid 19 degrees. Hard to believe, but the weather does not deter the rancher I am married to. DD however, was a bit hesitant about spending the wintery morning outdoors. Hesitation lost out though and after making numerous trips back into the house to add yet another shirt, coat, wildrag and ear muffs; she eagerly joined her Daddy in their early morning quest to begin breaking the colts. The freezing temperatures soon took a back seat to her passion for equines. I contemplated joining them, but it was a battle. Did I really want to subject myself to the numbing cold or should I just stay in my warm, cozy kitchen with my mug of hot tea? Stay or Go? Go or stay?

Alas, my passion for photography pulled me outdoors and towards the pens. There is something absolutely magical that transpires between DH and a horse when they work together. I have spent many a hour in an attempt to capture that relationship. Sir Winston Churchill once said:

"There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man".

That quote fits my husband to a T. My daughter is inflicted as well.

This spring we had 7 colts ( 4 fillies and 3 horse colts). We usually end up halter breaking them and beginning ground work in December.

DH is using a white flag (or in this case a grocery sack because I need to sew him a flag) to desensitize this little colt. At this point is it 19 degrees which explains why DH is well insulated.


Then they move into the little round pen and work on getting the colt to face up and flex.

There is no place she'd rather be:

DD and the colt are both in training. They're both good students and quick learners.


DD can talk to the animals. I'm pretty certain she is related to Dr. Doolittle:

I don't know about you, but the promised warmth of a hot mug of tea is calling my name and I'm heading back to the house!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...