Saturday, November 24, 2007

Baked Oatmeal and the Arrival of Winter

It's 5 am and I am wide awake. In fact, I have already been in the kitchen and the comforting aroma of Baked Oatmeal is beginning to waft through the house. I don't care for oatmeal, but this stuff is wonderful! I think it's the combination of cinnamon and tart apple mixed with brown sugar that transforms oatmeal into this heavenly dish. It's the perfect way to start a cold, snowy, wintery morning.
And there's no doubt that winter has arrived. The forcasted high for town is 36 ~ it's always colder out here so it probably won't get above freezing.

It has been snowing throughout the night and I hope it keeps on coming. There is something so serene about a snowfall out here on the ranch. I doubt I would be as excited about the snow if I had to travel out in it though. As long as I'm able to stay at the end of my dirt road, play with the kids in the snow, make a feed run with DH, watch the frisky horses play as they gallop in for their breakfast, sip mugs of hot tea and hot chocolate with little marshmellows, cuddle under the flannel quilt with a good book, bake cookies, catch a good movie, work on my scrapbooks and take some pictures...well, that makes for a perfect day. Might even have to throw in a nap for good measure. I am so spoiled.

DD and I will compile our baking list of must have Christmas goodies and probably do a little shopping on-line. We'll all pull out the Christmas puzzle she selected at Hobby Lobby last week and watch a fun movie as we watch the snow fall from our big plate glass window in the living room. Did I mention that I was spoiled?

Baked Oatmeal

3 C Quick Oats
1 C brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
3 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 C milk
1/2 C butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
2 apples, chopped (we like Granny Smith)

*Preheat oven to 350. Combine all ingredients. Spoon into a 9x13" baking pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake for 45 minutes. DH and DS like this with milk and DD and I like it without.

Here's to a warm and cozy Saturday!

3 comments:

Ranch wife said...

Made this on Sunday, it is greatttt! Like that pretty quilted thingie. Who made it?? he he.
M.

Ranch Wife said...

Glad y'all liked it! About that quilted thingie ~ very cool, isn't it? I LOVE it! It was a gift from a dear, sweet friend and it makes me smile and think of her everytime I look at it ~ I have the most awesome friends!

Nicola O. said...

Oh, I love the photo of the birdhouse.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...